Monday 3 February 2014

Obesity: Disease or Addiction?


Im watching Weight Loss Ward on itv1, recorded on 21st January. I've always agreed with people who say that bariatric surgery for the obese is in fact saving the NHS money because people lose weight and then don't end up with heart disease, kidney disease, diabetes, and other complications of obesity. But I am now wondering if there is another cheaper way to treat obesity which would actually "cure" obesity and cost a lot less.

There is a lady on this tv programme who had a gastric band fitted and lost 17 stone! Later on the band slipped and she had to have it removed in emergency surgery, she then went on to put 10 stone back on, and is now having a gastric bypass operation. Doesn't this show you that yes she lost weight but she didnt learn anything about how to eat, her appetite or a healthy diet? Perhaps having trained and qualified councillors who are able to treat the underlying cause of overrating would be a better way to treat obese patients? Most people who overeat to excess have an underlying cause, an emotional reason for their "addiction" to food. If you were addicted to drugs or alcohol you would go to rehab, get councilling and hopefully find out why you abuse those substances. So where is the rehab for food addiction? Where are the people who look for the underlying reason we are abusing our bodies with food? I have a friend who works with addicts and helps them overcome their demons, I'm going to ask her if she thinks it would work for food addiction and obesity. I don't know what I could do to help others but I wish I could! Maybe if I can fix myself I can fix other people too. Watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment