Monday 20 January 2014

"Super Dieters" to the rescue? Top 6 tips!

Just read this article which says "Super Dieters" are those who have lost weight AND maintained it for 2 years or more. Ive never even got round to losing the weight (YET) but I do worry about maintenance when I do get to my goal weight. The article gives 6 tips from these "Super Dieters" which are:
Rule No. 1. Don’t ever cheat. They never give themselves a break, not even on holidays or weekends.
Rule No. 2.  Eat breakfast. The National Weight Control Registry shows that’s one of the most common traits of those who succeed in keeping those pounds off once and for all.
Rule No. 3. Get on a scale every day.
Rule No. 4. Put in the equivalent of a four-mile walk seven days a week.
Rule No. 5. Watch less than half as much TV as the overall population.
Rule No. 6. Eat 50 to 300 calories less than most people.
I totally agree with No. 1. When I did Cambridge I never cheated, until my big planned weekend blowout which went crazy and I ate my weight in chocolate. If I do 'cheat' I know that getting back on plan takes along time and I usually end up giving up. Thats me personally anyway.

So I thought I would give MY top 6 tips on dieting and how to lose weight that I have found/learnt over my years of dieting. Im not at goal yet, but I certainly know a hell of a lot about diets, its just doing it that I've found hard in the past.

1. Drink LOADS!- Non-alcoholic sugar-free fluids! This is my number 1 rule and I break it most days. When I do follow it though I am much less hungry and fluid fills you up. Especially if you are really thirsty your body can mistake it for hunger. So drink a big glass of water before you go for the biscuit tin!

2. Follow the PLAN. If you can eat unlimited fruit/veg, then do it. If you can have 5-15 syns each day then use them. If you have to eat 8 bananas in one day, do it. If you have to eat 14 individual carrot leaves every morning before 5am then do it. You get the point. However strange or incomprehensible a 'diet rule' may be, if you are going to do it then do it properly. And don't stray.

3. Write it down. Whether you take a photo of everything you eat, write it in a diary or log it on your mobile phone, keep a log of everything that passes your lips. Its easy to think you have stuck to the plan, and forget the handful of peanuts or the sneaky chicken nugget from your childs leftovers. If you bite it, write it.

4. Plan your meals. Make a menu plan for the week and stick to it. I have a meal planning folder which has lots of recipes in it and options for each meal. Then I make a menu for the week and make my shopping list from the menu, then I go shopping. When it comes to lunchtime I dont have to think about it, I just look at the menu and cook it then eat it. It takes all the thinking and wondering what you can eat out of mealtimes. Makes you less likely to reach for a hand ready meal full of salt and fat and instead cook something nutritious.

5. Get some support. I am very lucky in that my husband, both sisters and mum all do Slimming World so I have a great support network. But, I also have alot of friends from Minimins, facebook and other websites to turn to if I dont want to talk to someone in my family. I also make sure I stay to my SW group every week and soak up the tips and ideas shared that week from the members. However you go about it, get yourself a support network and use it.

6. Be POSITIVE. If you KNOW you can do it, and SEE yourself achieving your dream, then you WILL. Go into your diet plan believing you can achieve your goal. If you are negative from the start then that is how you will feel. If you have negative people in your life then either get rid of them, or use their negativity to be determined to prove them wrong.

I hope you find this useful and can take it forward with you to succeed with your diet, whether you are already doing one, or ready to start a new one. Good Luck!

What is your top dieting tip? Share it in the comments below or contact me so I can share it!

No comments:

Post a Comment